Monday, April 14, 2008

Highlights from the past couple of weeks

We've been busy - sorry for not posting more often! Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks....
Nolan had his last breast milk bottle last Tuesday :( I had some kind of super milk production when I was pumping and was able to store a lot of it - two shelves full in the freezer!! Since he started at daycare, I would give him a few breast milk bottles each week. He didn't seem to know the difference between that and formula, but I felt better that he was getting the good stuff once in awhile and all my hard work didn't go to waste!
We've still got a teether at home....it hasn't been too bad, he's just a little more fussy than usual. It's funny because he starts to gnaw on the nipple of his bottle and then tries to suck his thumb at the same time. Like he can't figure out which feels better!

Baseball season is back! Brad plays for a team that he's played with for the past few years, the Wolfpack. They're part of the National Adult Baseball Association (NABA) here in Denver and they have a few leagues for different age groups over 18. This is the same team Brad was playing with in Las Vegas when we met :) Anyway, they play every Sunday at different fields all around Denver. Nolan went to his very first baseball game on April 6! It was chilly, but he was all bundled up and loved being held by all the girls while he napped. The last couple of years, Lindsay (her fiance plays, and that's her in the picture) and I had kind of shared the duty of keeping the book during the game. I absolutely LOVE baseball, so I totally didn't mind. Now I'm far too busy with Nolan to even get to pay attention to most of the game, let alone try and keep score! I think he'll have a lot of fun this summer when he's able to enjoy it more and sort of know what's going on....and maybe it'll be a lot less fun for me since I'll only be chasing him around the whole time!














Nolan has started sitting up a little bit now. It's more of a hunched over, halfway sitting up, but at least it's a different point of view for him. He does pretty good if the toys he wants are right in front of him and not too far away, but if they're off to the side, he tumbles over! He's gotten pretty good at putting his arm out to balance himself, but it usually doesn't last that long. Here are a few pictures of him playing in his room - Brad says it looks like he's talking to his toys!













































Brad and I have all of our workout equipment in our unfinished basement - there's even a TV, which is nice. Anyway, we've put Nolan's jumper down there so we can all be down there together. He loves it! Here's a video of him "dancing" - he was doing it a lot more than this, but of course by the time we got the video camera, he wsan't interested in performing. It cracks me up because as I'm recording this with our digital camera, Brad's recording with our video camera....I'm not sure if he even knows he's doing it, but every time he takes a video he narrates the entire time. haha And yes, that's our Christmas tree in the background, covered in plastic. We are extremely lazy and only take the ornaments off and then move it to the basement still put together. Why not, no one ever goes down there but us!


Still not crawling yet, but I think it's pretty close! Nolan's really good at scooting backwards - he gets under the coffee table most of the time, but the other day he scooted himself all the way from his blanket to the fireplace! He got frustrated and started whining/crying, but I let him go for a little bit just to see what he would do. What he did was get super mad at me!! So I had to take some pictures. Gotta love the drool! (Oh, and for the record, we don't normally keep the diaper pail in the living room.....it's broken and we haven't figured out how to fix it yet!)






























This past weekend was a pretty busy one, but Nolan was a trooper! Saturday morning, we went to run some errands - I got my nails done while Brad and Nolan went to Sports Authority to look for a new mitt. Brad put Nolan in the front carrier with him facing forward - for the first time! He loved it! I love taking Nolan places for a few reason: 1) he's always really good (and I've probably just jinxed it); 2) he seems to love just taking everything in and looking at new things; and 3) if I'm talking to myself, people think I'm talking to him! I think I must have inherited that trait from my mom - one of the many!

After the errands, we met Sharon and Munish for lunch in Stapleton. They both work with Brad and we really like hanging out with them :) We just found out that they started working with an architect and bought a lot and are building a house. We're really excited for them!

After lunch, Nolan took a really good nap, and we hung out at home for a few hours before heading down the south side of Denver for Brad's brother Max's hockey game. His team made it to the championship game of the tournament - it was pretty exciting and Max scored one of the two goals for him team! As an added bonus, I got a little taste of what Brad's going to be like when Nolan (and his future siblings?) get involved in sports. He stood almost the entire game and let me know more than once how intense the game was getting. But he assured me that he was not going to be "that parent" at our kids' games! haha

Yesterday Nolan got to go to Grandma Cindy's with his cousins Cambell and Mylee while Aunt Melissa and I got to watch the Wolfpack play the 4pm game. We pulled out the win in what turned out to be an exciting game! So now we're 1-1 on the season. Brad is a really good hitter - kind of like Babe Ruth. Lots of home runs, but lots of strike outs too. haha He'll love that I made that reference! He plays centerfield and first base - I'll try to get some good pictures of him next weekend.

Tax season is almost over!! Woo hoo! At least the first round of deadlines anyway. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to stick to my new schedule, but I can't begin to describe how happy I am that I was able to reduce my hours. It doesn't mean that I was completely stress-free, but the reduced hours helped quite a bit. If you would have asked me 5 years ago (when I started my career at good ole' Heaton & Eadie!) if I thought I would be on a flex-schedule to have more time at home with my family, I probably would have laughed in your face, thinking it would be impossible. But it's working, and I love it!

The most exciting news of this week is that my parents are coming to visit! My mom gets here Wednesday night and my dad gets here Friday morning. She's trying to talk him into coming with her on Wednesday, so we'll see. Nolan gets to stay home from daycare to hang out with Nanny and Papa on Thursday and Friday. We don't have a whole lot planned, but on Friday I'm going to take them to see Nolan's daycare and they'll get to meet his teachers. Maybe I can get some pictures of Miss Erica and Miss Hannah while we're there to share with you!

It's funny when I don't blog for a long time because I'm constantly thinking about what I'm going to say in the next blog or what pictures I'm going to post. I just can't seem to make a good habit out of it yet! I'll try to do better this week - more pictures to come soon!

No comments: