Friday, May 16, 2008

Night Owls - May 9

A week later, and I finally get around to posting about my Night Owls experience!

I had such a great time volunteering! All the volunteers get there about a half an hour before the families start arriving, and then the organizers call your name when your 'friend' for the night gets there. During that time, we had a chance to read a little questionnaire the parents filled out about their child. What they like to do, if they have siblings that are attending, etc. It was a little difficult for me at first because I have never been around kids with special needs. I got choked up a couple of times, but I made myself pull it together. It just makes me so sad to see these innocent little children with all kinds of things attached to them, or having to be in a wheelchair all the time. It made me wonder how their parents aren't bitter, but they totally aren't. They were just happy to have a night out by themselves, and I was happy I could have a hand in doing so!

The little girl I was paired with was a year and a half, and we played with baby dolls all night! It was so much fun. I won't be getting to do that anytime soon with Nolan, so I soaked it up. :) Her brother and sister were there, so she was a little clingy to them towards the end when it was bedtime. All the kids looked like they were having such a great time, and the parents were so appreciative when they came back at the end of the night.

I've signed up for two more nights this summer, and have a couple of friends that are thinking about volunteering too. It was such a rewarding experience, and hopefully the program will be able to keep going.

It made me that much more thankful for our healthy baby boy.....I gave Nolan extra kisses that night when I got home. I gave extra thanks when I said my prayers that night too. :)

No comments: