Friday, December 5, 2008

We should be heading to Vegas.....and taking Brad's mom with us!

Thursday nights at our house is "Grandma Night". Grandma Cindy usually picks Nolan up from daycare and hangs out with him at our house until we get home from either running errands, a date night, or just going out to dinner. It's wonderful!

Last night, we started out Grandma Night by having Grandma Cindy take our Christmas card picture - it turned out great! At least it turned out great once we got the dogs and Nolan to all look at the camera at the same time! Brad and I took off to grab a quick bite to eat and do some Christmas shopping for Nolan.

Brad had told me yesterday morning he was hungry for Jim's Burger Haven, an old diner where they have the best burgers and shakes. It definitely rivals my all time favorite Steak-n-Shake back home. :)

We pulled into the parking lot and as Brad was getting out of the truck, he slipped and fell on the icy parking lot. (It was SUPER cold yesterday and had snowed a couple of inches.) Now, when something like this happens, my first instinct is to laugh hysterically. I just can't help myself. But I bit my tongue and held it in until I made sure he was okay. Then I definitely laughed about him eating it in front of everyone! I pointed out that he had some slush stuck to his pants and he reached down to brush it off with his left hand.

When he did, his wedding ring flew under his truck and across the parking lot....GASP!!!!!

I think we were both in shock and just stood there for a minute. We rushed around to the other side of the truck and started looking, the whole time Brad just kept repeating, "Really? Really, did that just happen?"

You might remember my experience of losing my wedding band over the summer.......I knew exactly how he was feeling at that moment.

So, cold weather and all, we started searching. Unfortunately there was a huge snow covered bush right where we thought his ring had landed, so we started digging. Literally. It was ridiculously cold and dark, so I suggested that we drive all the way to Brad's mom's house to get her metal detector and come back better equipped. It's not like anyone was going to steal his ring, right?

That was a looooong drive - not a whole lot of talking!! I tried to be a positive as I could, but Brad was really upset with himself. I was disappointed too, but I didn't want to act like it because I knew Brad felt bad enough as it was.

We got back to the parking lot and I'm sure we looked like a couple of weirdos out in the freezing cold digging through a bush with a metal detector. I only wish I could have gotten away with taking a picture of Brad so I could post it once we actually found the ring (because I was that positive we would find it!), but I knew that would have been way over the line!

We spent about another 45 minutes looking and decided to come back when the snow melted and it was light outside. Needless to say, we didn't eat and didn't get any Christmas shopping done last night. :(

Brad called me this morning at work and said he was on his way to meet his mom at the parking lot so she could help him look for his ring. Not ten minutes later he called back. I knew it hadn't been long enough for him to get all the way there, so I was really hoping he had good news. SHE FOUND IT! That's exactly what he said when I answered the phone! He was so excited, and I was so happy we hadn't lost it for good.

She pulled into the parking lot, stepped out of her car and took about three steps and found it! How lucky is she???? Brad said it was right next to a branch we had pulled off of the bush and that we probably stepped on it more than a few times last night.

A big THANK YOU to Cindy for finding the lost wedding ring! My dad said we need to tie strings to our wedding rings from now on. :)

I think we need to go buy a couple of lottery tickets tonight.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First you lose your ring then brad loses his ring too!!! You guys are perfect together!!!!!

Laura Bridges said...

I'm so glad you found it! That cold weather probably made his finger a little smaller and the ring just a little loose. Poor guy!